Speaker: Jeffrey Taxman, M.D. (Mequon, WI)
Description: This video informs viewers about the psychological impact of disasters on communities at large, and Emergency Department staff in particular. Learning the expected time-course of the psychological sequelae, from time of impact to many months later, prepares viewers for expected future psychological reactions to the pandemic, even after it’s over. Special attention is paid to the unique stresses on Emergency Department staff, with suggestions on how to be aware of, and lessen the effects that this enormous stress has on one’s personal and professional life. Dr. Taxman, MD has over 20 years’ experience intervening with first-responders during massive community disasters.
After viewing this presentation the participant will be able to:
- Describe a disaster’s psychological impact on communities.
- Assess signs of overwhelming stress and burn-out in themselves and colleagues.
Criteria for Completion:
- Watch presentation
- Submission of completed evaluation form of the article and the overall evaluation
- 80% passing grade of post-test questions
Continuing Education Credits: 1
Continuing Professional Education Credit
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION FOR ALL LEARNERS: None of the planners and presenters for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s)* to disclose with ineligible companies* whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
*Financial relationships are relevant if the educational content an individual can control is related to the business lines or products of the ineligible company.
Physicians The American Psychoanalytic Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Psychoanalytic Association designates this Internet Activity Enduring Material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Psychologists The American Psychoanalytic Association is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The American Psychoanalytic Association maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
New York State Licensed Psychoanalysts American Psychoanalytic Association, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychoanalysts. #P-0013.
- UPON FINISHING YOUR ORDER, YOU WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL IMMEDIATELY.
- YOU WILL THEN RECEIVE A SECOND EMAIL CONTAINING A LINK TO THE VIDEO. RECEIPT OF THIS EMAIL WILL DEPEND ON WHEN THE VIDEO WAS PURCHASED.
IF YOU MAKE YOUR PURCHASE:
- DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS (9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday), YOU WILL RECEIVE THE SECOND EMAIL WITHIN TWO HOURS.
- AFTER WORK HOURS, YOU MAY NOT RECEIVE THE SECOND EMAIL UNTIL THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY.
- ON THE WEEKEND, YOU MAY NOT RECEIVE THE SECOND EMAIL UNTIL MONDAY.