I. Individuals who have graduated from Full Clinical Psychoanalytic Training at an APsaA Accredited Training Institute or New Training Facility are eligible for Active Membership in the Association.
APsaA Candidate Members automatically become Active Members at the biannual national meeting which follows the notification of their graduation. To maintain their membership, the interested Candidate Member must file a signed Ethical Disclaimer with the National Office.
Non-member APsaA Institute graduates are eligible to apply for Active Membership. If you would like to request an application for Active Membership or if you have questions, please contact Membership Services (firstname.lastname@example.org).
II. Full members of the International Psychoanalytical Association (IPA) or graduates of an institute of an IPA component society are eligible to apply for Active Membership.
If you would like to request an application for Active Membership or if you have questions, please contact Membership Services (email@example.com).
III. Individual Psychoanalysts who have trained outside of an Institute accredited by the American Psychoanalytic Association or the International Psychoanalytical Association. APsaA has revised its membership criteria and has created a new membership pathway for these psychoanalysts. Please click here to download the application. If you have questions, please contact Membership Services firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of Active Membership
One of the most important reasons for belonging to the American Psychoanalytic Association is to become part of the voice that advocates for psychoanalysis across the country. APsaA membership helps you to:
Participate in Advancing Psychoanalysis
Join 3,500 U.S. colleagues and an international membership of more than 10,000 to:
- Advocate for the highest standards of psychoanalytic treatment, education, and scientific inquiry
- Support a scientific/humanistic treatment approach that promotes individual freedom and growth
- Foster public understanding and study of the human condition
- Magnify your voice on health care reform
- Lobby and educate the legislature about your profession
Enhance Your Professional Education
- Participate in national scientific meetings, study groups, on-line discussions, public dialogues and scientific publications.
- Earn continuing education credits for maintaining professional licensure
- Meet Colleagues - APsaA offers social, scientific, and political networking opportunities. The Association is small enough for all members to be meaningfully involved, yet large enough to provide a diversity of experience and perspectives.
- The Meeting provides an invaluable opportunity to meet other colleagues from across the country which will help to expand your network for referrals.
- Listing in the “Find an APsaA Member” Directory
- Add a link from your APsaA listing directly to your own personal webpage
- Subscribe to APsaA's active e-mail lists, including timely news and announcements as well as online discussions. Access useful information online in the “Members Only” section
- Join an APsaA online Community of Interest, APsaA’s Facebook page or LinkedIn group
Share in a Variety of Group Benefits